About: London Road restaurants
Leicester food brands
Did you know that some great food comes from Leicester? In 1948, Leicester butcher Henry Walker founded Walker’s Crisps. Although Walker’s Crisps was sold to Frito-Lay in the 1970s, the Walker’s factory in Leicester is the biggest crisp production site in the world, making more than 11 million bags of crisps per day.
The distinctive orange-hued hard cheese, Red Leicester, hails from the city.
Leicester Market is the largest outdoor covered marketplace in Europe and sells a variety of fresh produce, meat, cheese and more.
The Melton Mowbray pork pie is another famous food to come from Leicestershire. Consisting of chopped pork and pork jelly in hot water crust pastry, the Melton pie has had Protected Geographical Status (PGS). This means that only producers making pork pies using a traditional recipe and in the vicinity of Melton Mowbray can use the town's name.
The award-winning Everards Brewery is based in Leicester and was founded in 1849. It produces cask ales and owns over 170 local pubs, all of which are within a 70-mile radius of the brewery.
Restaurants in Leicester
Leicester has a range of restaurants offering food from all over the world, including British, Chinese, French, Greek, Indian, Italian, Kurdish, Latin American, Lebanese, Mediterranean, Nepalese, Indian, Portuguese, Spanish, Soul Food, Thai and world buffets.
With the highest Asian population in the UK, it is unsurprising that Leicester is renowned for its curry houses. In 2007, Leicester was crowned ‘Curry Capital of Britain’, beating off competition from 15 other cities. The Curry Capital competition is part of British Curry Week and highlights the important role of South Asian cuisine in the British food industry. Other Curry Capitalwinners include Bradford, Glasgow and Birmingham.
Restaurants on London Road
There are 38 restaurants, cafés, pubs and bars on the half-mile stretch of London Road between Leicester Train Station and Victoria Park. 22 of these are rated 3.5 stars or more by users of Tripadvisor.
Our study sample comprised a third of the eateries in this section of London Road, the details of which are below
To find out more about historical articles from Leicester Mercury regarding multiculturalism, click here.
- Adam's Steakhouse, 63 London Road. American diner serving steak, curries, noodles and more.
- Bella Takeaway, 109 London Road. Chinese takeaway which also sells burgers, chicken and pizza.
- Heavenly Desserts, 134 London Road. Luxury dessert parlour. Part of a chain with restaurants across the Midlands.
- In-n-Out Chicken, 112 London Road. Halal takeaway serving southern fried chicken, burgers, kebabs, wraps and biryani.
- Madison's, 128 London Road. Dessert parlour and coffeehouse, serving sandwiches, gelato and a variety of hot beverages.
- More, 62A London Road. Multi-cuisine dining theatre, serving Chinese, Indian, , Italian, Mexican, South Indian and Indo-Chinese food.
- Mystic Mangal, 146C London Road. Turkish barbecue restaurant and Indian curry house, which also serves Indo-Chinese food and has a buffet.
- Nila Palace, 61 London Road. Bangladeshi-Indian restaurant. Member of British Curry Club and recommended by Cobra Good Curry Guide in 1999 and Egon Ronay’s Guide in 1997.
- Oggi Simply Italian, 161 London Road. Italian restaurant serving Sicilian food. Head chef, Danny, was awarded the title of Best Chef whilst working at Zum Toni in Kornwestheim, Germany.
- Plaza Fish Bar, 142 London Road. Chip shop. Serves burgers, pies, southern fried chicken and doner kebabs as well as fish and chips.
- Roosters Grill, 111 London Road. Halal restaurant and takeaway serving Gazebo chicken, grilled food and steak.
- Sichuan Brothers Restaurant, 169A London Road. Chinese restaurant serving Chinese traditional Chinese food, as well as English and Cantonese cuisine.
- The Marquis Wellington, 139 London Road. Pub in the Everards chain. Sells cask ales, wines, local beers, classic British pub food and fusion food such as nachos.
Click the pictures to view restaurants and word clouds of customers' reviews.